Pages

28 February 2008

Photography



Artists and also photographers have a similar problem. This problem is with the sharing and teaching aspect. I understand that many artists and photographers are trying to put food on the table with their craft and guarding their "tricks" and "techniques" seems to them a way to protect their income. It's easier for me to be critical of this because I have another income source and do not depend on photography. I do not believe that the sharing of techniques and ideas between artists and photographers will result in a negative outcome. When I started out I needed to learn some technical things about photography. Thankfully there were some people that helped me along the way. They were not afraid of teaching me some stuff and giving me ideas. I in turn have no problem sharing any of my knowledge with other photographers. I look at each artist/photographer (image maker) as unique. Even if someone were to copy every aspect of my technique and what I do, I really don't believe it will come across visually the same as my work. I recommend people try to look at pictures that appeal to them and to try and emulate the shot.
I am also very annoyed and disappointed with those photographers that get all upset that so many people are trying to be photographers. So many "pro" photographers go on internet forums and websites ranting about "amateurs" with entry level SLR's trying to be photographers. They get "mad" because these amateurs are charging less and making it hard for them to do business. I think that these "pro" shooters are more worried about being shown up by amateurs. I think if the work is strong then who cares how many wanna be pro shooters there are out there? There are tons of actors, models and people wanting to be rock stars. However, talent rises to the top. My sister hired a "pro" because she was worried her brother (me) wasn't good enough to do her wedding pictures. Turns out her "pro" took useless photos and even though his equipment was better his "eye" and ability to see a good shot wasn't there. So many shooters think because they took a course on lighting, or bought an expensive lens makes them a pro. I personally welcome the people who are learning. It's the reason I LOVE teaching, I love seeing students artwork. Sometimes a child can compose an image better then I can. I learn from students and I also learn from seeing the work of friends and peers that are just starting out in photography. I think that treating others with kindness is the best road to take. If someone asks me for help, I am more then happy to give it. I have been blessed with friends that have helped me and I have been able to help some of them back. So hopefully we have both benefited.

2 comments:

Smiley Eyes Photography said...

Yes you are very generous with your tips and I was very surprised , because you are right, many people just won't share.

Hope Walls said...

I think there's an elitist attitude many photographers adopt, one that makes it difficult for those of us who shoot for passion and not profit to edge our way in and be taken seriously as 'photographers.' The people who are confident in their abilities and their status are the ones who tend to not be stingy handing out help.