Pages

08 April 2008

Aperature


When I started digital photography I had only a slight idea about aperature. I knew I loved shooting subjects with blurred backgrounds but did not always know how to achieve this. I learned a lot about ISO and how I can use it with aperature to create beautiful pictures with blurred backgrounds. I started buying lenses that will support my craving for short dof (depth of field) images. My fave lens and cheapest buy is the canon 50mm 1.8 lens. I HIGHLY recommend this lens if you're interested in SLR photography and have a tight budget like me. It delivers PRO level images for a SMALL price. I got mine for just under $100. It's made cheaply and is a bit noisey. It's mostly plastic and my cat Nahla knocked if off a desk and it broke which made me quite sad. The good news it wasn't a 70-200 2.8 lens and replacing it didn't break the bank. Now I keep my lenses on safer places from kitty cats.

The 1.8 lens is a perfect way to deal with indoor natural light without using a flash. You can adjust the ISO to allow for shutter speeds that allow for amazing portraits. I suggest not going below a shutter speed of 60, or use a tripod I guess if you want to go slower then 60. The tough part about shooting at 1.8 is I have trouble focusing on the subject. Auto focus at that short of depth of field is tough, I recommend manual focus if the auto doesn't cooperate. I tend to be lazy and shoot auto. I take a LOT of pictures so I usually have quite a few out of focus shors that get dumped. But the moment you lock in the eyes and get a perfect shot with a nice blurry background it's priceless. I get knocked a lot by other photographers for not shooting crisp and 100% sharp pictures. However I think too many photographers get sucked in to thinking every lens needs to be an "L" lens and spending thousands of dollars will make their photos better. I disagree and I've seen many of these photographers take really "boring" images with their expensive lenses. I suggest breaking the rules...doing shots that seem to go against what the masses agree makes a perfect shot.

Photography is fun, it can be very creative and understanding the way your camera works opens doors to creativity and fun. Allow yourself time to learn and shoot as much as possible to open up yourself to how your camera works. It took me a long time to learn it....so don't expect to learn in an instant, some people can....hehehhe, but it's a skill and just develop it as best you can.
-Randy

3 comments:

Smiley Eyes Photography said...

Good tips Boss !

I just bought that lense the other day !

So far I think it is love !

Randy said...

That is awesome!! :) Me so jealous! :)
-Randy

Smiley Eyes Photography said...

" THAT lense, being the one you spoke of in your blog.. not "that much coveted one". LOL!!

Sorry for the confusion... Be jealous no longer.

I touched it at Vistek though and also the Canon 1D Mark 3 .... 8,000 worth of sweet body!! LOL!!

Ahhhh to have the cash for those special items! LOL!